Cleanings & Prevention
Our preventative programs begin in-office, when you join us for your cleanings. Our cleanings will be able to provide a thorough and deep clean, eliminating any buildup that has occurred. We will also work with you to create an at-home oral hygiene plan that will help you avoid any dental diseases.
Preventative care includes regular dental exams and cleanings and by your regular brushing, flossing, and a healthy diet at home. We also offer dental sealants and fluoride for additional protection.
Dental Exams & Cleanings
Having regular dental exams is a critical part of maintaining a healthy mouth, and overall health. When you visit us regularly for exams, we will be able to detect any dental issue early on which will make treatment easier, less costly and avoid any pain.
Your examination will include the following:
- Diagnostic x-rays that will help us view any issues that we may not be able to see with the naked eye. This will also allow us to see your tooth root and tooth position.
- Oral cancer screening by gently inspecting your gums, tissues, lips tongue and throat. Just like any other cancer, early detection is key, so having regular exams is important.
- Gum Disease evaluationhelps us determine if you are at risk for gum disease, what stage of gum disease you have, and helps us determine a treatment plan for you.
- Examination of tooth decay to determine if you are in need of any fillings or crowns to prevent further damage to the tooth.
- Examination of existing restorations to see how your prior restorations are doing and if they need to be fixed.
Dental X-Rays are an important part of your dental exam. They allow us to see what may not have been visible during the regular dental examination.
Dental x-rays may reveal:
- Abscesses or cysts.
- Bone loss.
- Cancerous and noncancerous tumors.
- Decay between the teeth.
- Developmental abnormalities.
- Poor tooth and root positions.
- Problems inside a tooth or below the gum line.
Our gentle cleanings allow us to gently remove any buildup of calculus and tartar that could eventually lead to tooth decay or gum disease. After all the buildup is removed, our hygienists will polish your teeth, giving you a smooth and shiny smile!
After your dental exam and cleaning, it is important to continue your oral hygiene routine at home. This includes brushing at least twice a day, regular flossing, and maintaining a healthy diet. We are happy to give you specific instructions on how to brush and floss properly!
A healthy, beautiful smile for our patients is our primary goal. We know a healthy smile requires routine home care in addition to visits to the dentist. Personal home care involves eating balanced meals, limiting sugary snacks, rinsing and brushing after eating, and utilizing toothbrushes and floss to prevent plaque and bacteria buildup which can lead to dental disease. We recommend using electric toothbrushes, flossing regularly, and rinsing your mouth after every meal if you are unable to brush your teeth.