A porcelain fixed bridge is a fixed appliance used to replace missing teeth. Because they are made of porcelain, the bridge will be almost undetectable because it will blend in with your surrounding teeth. A bridge uses the support of surrounding teeth as anchors to hold the replacement crown in place. A “traditional bridge” is made of porcelain fused with metal and consists of two crowns that go over two anchoring teeth and attach to artificial teeth called pontics. They fill in the gap caused by one or more missing teeth.
You may need a fixed bridge if:
- You need to fill space in your smile
- You want to prevent your teeth from drifting due to gaps in your teeth
- You are having difficulty chewing and speaking properly
- You are interested in restoring your smile and improving your facial shape
- You want to upgrade from a partial denture to a permanent dental appliance
Getting a dental bridge typically takes two appointments. During the first, your surrounding teeth will be prepared to hold the restoration. Sometimes these teeth may require crowns of their own to ensure their stability. We will then take an impression of the area so we can create your bridge to fit perfectly. A temporary bridge will be placed for a few weeks until your permanent bridge is ready. Once your final bridge and restoration are ready, we will ensure the fit and then cement it firmly into place.