Meet the Doctor
Dr. Raymond Choi
Dr. Choi is a highly skilled general, cosmetic and implant dentist with over 25 years of experience in all aspects of dentistry. In addition to his expertise and high level of skill, he is known for his gentle nature and his warm, friendly personality. “Dr. Choi has a great bedside manner,” says George, a patient. “He spends as much time as necessary, and he is very gentle.”
Making people feel comfortable and enabling them to enjoy their food again are two aspects of dentistry that Dr. Choi enjoys very much. He loves being able to make a difference in his patients’ lives. Whether they have missing or broken-down teeth, or currently wear dentures, Dr. Choi helps his patients have teeth that function well and look aesthetic and natural.
Highly Trained Implant Dentist
With thousands of hours of dental implant training under his belt, Dr. Choi is experienced in all aspects of implant treatment. He has been performing both the surgical and the restorative parts (creating and placing the new teeth) of implant procedures for over 25 years.
Dr. Choi received his training at the prestigious Misch International Implant Institute. He went on to teach other dentists about dental implant technology, including serving as an associate professor at the USC School of Dentistry for 10 years. Dr. Choi has written several publications on the subject of dental implants, and he has given many professional presentations on the subject. In 2012, he was invited to perform a live implant surgery demonstration at the annual American Dental Association conference.
In recognition of his excellent results in implant treatment, Dr. Choi was awarded a Fellowship with the International Congress of Oral Implantologists, a prestigious status given only to dentists who have demonstrated the highest standards in knowledge and practical skills.
Teacher of Implant Dentistry
Dr. Choi has been teaching implant dentistry for over 17 years, and he has helped many others achieve a higher level of knowledge and skill in many phases of implant dentistry.
He founded the Global Mini Implant Institute (GMI) in 2007, so he could help other dentists understand and offer treatment using mini implants (implants with a smaller diameter than regular implants). He continues to stay very active in teaching by offering implant and denture courses to practicing dentists throughout the country.
Dr. Choi has been a speaker at many dental association conferences, including those of the American Dental Association and the California Dental Association. In 2012, the American Dental Association invited Dr. Choi to conduct a live implant surgery demonstration at their annual conference in San Francisco.
Additionally, Dr. Choi is a recipient of the Appreciation Award from the University of Southern California for his 10 years of teaching service at their School of Dentistry in Los Angeles.
Focus on Mature Adult Dentistry
Dr. Choi has years of experience helping mature adults with their dental needs. Mature adults have specific needs and issues. To further his expertise he is currently enrolled in a 3 year Geriatric Dentistry Masters program at the distinguished USC Dental School. Dr. Choi's studies include the effects of medication, nutrition and systemic conditions on mature dental patients.
Education and Continuing Education
- Currently enrolled in the USC Dental School, Geriatric Dentistry Masters program, 2018
- Misch International Implant Institute, 2000
- TMJ Orofacial Pain Preceptorship , UCLA School of Dentistry 1989-1990
- Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS), University of Southern California School of Dentistry, 1987
- Bachelor of Arts, Biology (BA), Pomona College, Claremont, CA, 1983
Dr. Choi is proud to hold a fellowship with the International Congress of Implantologists (ICOI) and an associate fellowship with the American Academy of Implant Dentistry (AAID), both of which are highly esteemed organizations in the field of dental implant treatment.
Dr. Choi has served in the following positions within the dental profession:
- Clinical Assistant Professor, Department of Dental Medicine, USC School of Dentistry 1987 – 1997
- Clinical Director, Sendax Mini Dental Implant Mini-Residency in California
- Acting Director, TMJ-Facial Pain Clinic, USC School of Dentistry 1991
- Qualified Medical Evaluator (QME) for TMJ Disorders, Industrial Medical Council of the State of California, 1992-1995
- Independent Medical Examiner (IME) for TMJ Disorders, 1987
- Director of TMJ-Orofacial Pain Section, The Centers for Rehabilitation and Pain Management, Pasadena CA, 1992-1995
- Board Member, California Academy of General Dentistry (CAGD). 2010 - 2011
In addition to his academic and professional appointments, Dr. Choi has lectured at hundreds of professional and scientific presentations and seminars.
Dr. Choi is a member of the following dental organizations:
- American Dental Association
- Orange County Dental Society
- California Dental Association
- American Academy of Implant Dentistry
- International Congress of Oral Implantologists
Dr. Choi volunteered at CDA Cares in San Mateo, California in April 2017 and at CDA Cares in Bakersfield, California in October 2017.
He has also been doing charitable dental work and extensive teaching in Central Asia as part of regular dental missions.